I was looking around on Teal and Lime a while back and really liked her terrariums. So that evening I went and bought all the materials I would need to make my own. (please click on the “terrarium” link, above, to go to the original tutorial and pin or look at the original photos/tutorial referenced in this blog)
I found two great glass vases/candle holders from HomeGoods (love that store) for $10 and $8.
At Lowes I picked up the following:
- White Marble Rocks – 5#
- Potting Soil – Miracle Grow, Moisture Control
- Various plants
The layering is very simple:
- White Rocks
- Layer of moss – to keep the soil from falling through to the bottom
- Layer of Soil, enough to plant the plant in and establish its roots
- Moss to help hold in moisture
We did not use activated charcoal because the tops were open and air could circulate. I think the charcoal is more for closed terrariums
Lastly – Add your plants. We broke ours up to split between the two vases. I am showing you the smaller of the two.
Here are our two terrariums (that are STILL ALIVE!!! Woo Hoo!)
Our plants are a little larger, the selection was minimal at Lowes when I did this. It is best to look for smaller plants or ask your local nursery for terrarium appropriate plants.
Teal and Lime inspiration:
- Buy or DIY: Trendy Terrariums (apartmenttherapy.com)